Monday, April 14, 2014

Digital Citizenship



2-2 Blog

Personal digital footprint:
My digital footprint is quite large but not as big as it should be. I don’t have a long history of being a digital citizen since I wasn’t exposed to a lot of technology. That makes me a digital immigrant while the students I will teach will be digital natives.
 
My digital footprint includes: banking, shopping, facebook, myspace, online dating, school, credit reports, credit cards, utilities, gmail, yahoo.... There is so much more little things because everyday I spend online I increase my digital footprint. I also have a smart phone and purchased my daughter technological tools in which I program under my name. I can search my digital footprint and find some traces but only through further searching can I dig through all of it.
 
Teaching digital citizenship to students:
http://georgecouros.ca/blog/my-digital-footprintAnytime teachers introduce technological tools into the classroom then they must discuss digital citizenship and each student’s responsibility to be a good digital citizenship. Students have a responsibility to be good citizens in life so in the digital world they have the same responsibilities to be good digital citizens. Children are exposed to technology at an early age and must be taught digital citizenship as soon as exposure. Children need to be taught little by little depending on their exposure level and what appropriate subject matter for their age group is. This helps teach them how to continuously work on being a good digital citizens and know how their responsibilities as good digital citizenship with all the technological tools they are exposed too.
NETS Standards lists the digital standards that need to be met by students andteachers. These NETS standards need to be monitored and pushed by technology integration specialist. Technology integration specialist should see the importance of digital citizenship especially as technology experts. Teaching digital citizenship not only teaches students good behaviors online, how to use tools appropriately but also shows them how to protect themselves from predators online.

How can we expect students to already know how to be good digital citizens?
Students are taught at an early age what is expected of them to be good citizens in society and in the school settings. This is followed by modeling from other students, teachers and parents. This is how we should teach digital citizenship. It is something that needs to be taught, retaught every time technology is used and then modeled. You just can’t hand something new to a child and expect they will know how to use it appropriately. This is especially true with technological tools. That is why it is vital for schools to have teachers use and show students the many uses for the tools they already use or don’t even know about. Also allow parents who are uncomfortable with technology to learn more about their children are using and how they can reinforce good digital citizenship at home.

Supporting documentation about teaching digital citizenship in schools:
I got a great article from
digitalcitizenship.net called Digital Citizenship: Addressing Appropriate Technology Behavior. Even though it was published in 2004 it covers all the aspects of digital citizenship from what it is and how teachers and schools can teach it appropriately or not. I liked the article because it points out some issues schools have had and strategies to improve.
 

1 comment:

  1. I do love the idea that children are already taught to be citizens and it is just a quick adjustment to the digital world. Great article. Thank you for sharing the article. Nice article. I liked it.

    ReplyDelete